Wednesday, June 17, 2009

ConSciption 2009

This was my first sf con and I had an absolute blast. Here are some photos from the weekend.

The international guest of honor was writer Julie Czerneda, who gave a 3 day writer's workshop prior to the con. I joined in for a discussion session on the last day, and it was so much fun. I really enjoyed hearing her speak over the weekend - if you have a chance to attend one of Julie's talks, don't hesitate.

Of course, I also fell in love with Julie because she bought me a present.


You're looking at a copy of Anne Bishop's Queen of the Darkness, signed to me! It's no secret that I adore Ms Bishop's Black Jewels world so you can guess how excited I was to receive this!

Then as the weekend kicked off, the con was invaded by expert swordsmen...


...and Roman legionnaires.

The displays were fantastic. I was particularly interested in the demonstration and talk relating to the history of the modern sword. The speakers brought along a beautiful collection of swords and related armor from across several centuries, and it was wonderful to be able to handle the weapons - especially as blades play an important role in Archangel's Kiss.

The weekend ended on a high note with Stroke of Enticement winning the Best Novella category of the Sir Juilus Vogel Awards. Here's a photo of me with fellow winner Sally McClennan, who won for her children's book
Deputy Dan & the Mysterious Midnight Marauder.


A great weekend all around!


13 comments :

Christina said...

It looks like so much fun! How I miss Cali...

Anne Bishop is on my TBR pile, I hope I will have time now after graduation.

I can not wait for the next Guild Hunters book! I finally was able to read Angel's Blood (I finished it at 2 in the morning-- couldn't put it down!)

Mitch said...

What an awesome gift! You're so lucky! Not only do I love Anne Bishop's series, but the covers are always awesome, too!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Leslie said...

Congrats on winning the award. :)

I wold have loved to have seen the swordsmen. One of these days I'll make it to a con.

Valerie S. said...

Wow, Nalini, I'm positively jealous. I want the same gift! Anne Bishop is an awesome author and your friend is pretty amazing herself to know what to offer!

Congrats for the award!

I can't wait for the next "Guild Hunters" book, and count the days before BbF (20 and counting...)!

Oh, by the way, I followed your rec for "Just the Sexiest Man Alive", it was so much fun, I bought the other one by Julie James: "Practice Makes Perfect". This one too is a to be read!

Pissenlit said...

Nice! Someone posted a link to some ConScription photos up on Julie's newsgroup today. You're in some of them. :)
http://www.joffrehorlor.com/Gallery/?NodeID=1742


I love Julie's books and I'm told I need to read the Black Jewels series so Anne Bishop's on my TBR list. :)

Athena said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Can't wait for the next guild hunter book, and now I'm just dying to know how blades are important to the next novel. Yeah!

Jennifer K. said...

Congratulations, Nalini! You deserve it. It looks/sounds like you had fun.

Just so you know, I'm going to have to buy another copy of Dorian and Ashaya's book because I just read it for the umpteenth time and it's getting pretty used-looking! I am SO looking forward to Mercy's story.

T said...

Congrats on Stroke of Enticement winning Best Novella, Nalini!

Less then three weeks left...

Tina

Midnight said...

Congrads, looks like you had fun!

:winks:

Barbarita V said...

It sounds like a fun conference. Congrats on winning!

orannia said...

Congrats Nalini on the award (and I love your 'present' from Anne Bishop :)

Thank you so much for the summary and photos - you look lovely BTW!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! It looks like so much fun! And the gift... I'm so jealous, lol.

Una said...

Congratulations on your award and the most awesome gift. Because of you, I read Ms. Bishop's Black Jewels series and LOVED it too!!

Glad you had such a great time! However the tease on the sword play in Archangels' Kiss, got me all anxious for it's release! Yet, only two weeks until Mercy's book - WOO HOO!!!