Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Interview - Emily Gee

Today, I bring you another debut author - the lovely and talented Emily Gee! Her book Thief With No Shadow is like nothing else I've read lately. Check out the interview below, where I totally grill her!

1. Your first book, ‘Thief With No Shadow’ came out last month. What’s your state of mind right now?

My state of mind? To tell the truth, I’m a little bit freaked out. Even though (weird though this may sound) the book doesn’t ‘feel’ like it’s mine any more. It’s no longer a pile of scribbled-on sheets of paper--it’s neat and trim and has a shiny cover. My name is on it, but I swear it’s someone else’s book!

2. Who is Emily Gee? Give us the lowdown.

Me? I work in the wine industry in Marlborough, New Zealand. I’m a member of the viticultural team at a winery and I really enjoy it--particularly the frantic rush of harvest, which we’ve just finished. I love to travel and am itching to get overseas again. I’m a bit of a walking freak--I have to get outside and up the hills as often as possible! I love reading and movies and wine and food and art ... oh, and yoga!

3. Backcover copy of ‘Thief’?

Aided by the magic which courses through her veins, Melke is able to walk unseen by mortal eyes. When a necklace she has stolen holds the key to both saving her brother’s life and breaking a terrible curse, she must steal it back from a den of fire-breathing salamanders. Things are about to get very tough for Melke, especially when she comes to realise she may have to trust the very people who were out to kill her.

Thief With No Shadow is a rich, romantic fantasy tale set in a world where the ordinary and extraordinary co-exist, where nightmarish creatures live alongside men, and magic runs in the blood of mortals.

[And then there are some lovely quotes, yours included!]

4. Having had a chance to read ‘Thief’, I’d categorize it as dark fantasy with romantic elements. Agree? Disagree?

I agree, absolutely. It’s dark, but it’s also romantic. And it ends happily. I could never write a sad ending!

5. Tell us about some of the creatures in your fantasy world.

The creatures that feature most prominently are salamanders. They’re cruel and avaricious and hedonistic--and extremely dangerous. They’re motivated by treasures--gold and jewels--and by sexual pleasure. Only people who’re in desperate circumstances dare to approach them. Unfortunately my poor characters are in rather dire straits!

6. What’s next for you?

I’m working on another fantasy that’s both dark and romantic. It’s not set on the same world as ‘Thief’--there are no salamanders! The working title is ‘Witch-Eye’.

7. Anything else you want to share?

We’ve just finished harvest, which is a pretty demanding time of year--no time for getting to the supermarket, let alone reading. ‘Slave to Sensation’ was the treat I promised myself for when I had time to read again--which was this past weekend. I gulped it down. A great read--thanks!

8 comments :

May said...

Dang!

I saw this at the bookstore today, but didn't get it.

I will have to pick it up the next time I see it.

catslady said...

Looks interesting and intriguing.

loonigrrl said...

Hmmmm, I think I'll be stopping by the bookstore tomorrow :)

Anonymous said...

So cool to see this featured because I just picked up THIEF WITH NO SHADOW! I look forward to reading it.

Anonymous said...

THis sounds really good, I like the cover too. Will definitely be adding it to my must-buy list.

Yvonne Lindsay said...

Emily's book sounds amazing! I can almost forgive her for being young and gorgeous AND talented! LOL! I'm definitely looking out for this one.

Yvonne

Sara Hantz said...

Great interview. Congrats on your book, I know it's going to be the first of many. So get used to being in the spotlight!

Can't wait to see you at conference... you too Nalini!

Anonymous said...

I picked this up as soon as I heard it was on the shelves and for the first time in years couldn't put a book down. Emily's book is excellent. I look forward to the next one.