Saturday, March 10, 2007

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
About three things I was absolutely positive:

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him… that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.
You know that part in Jerry Macquire where Renee Zellweger says, "You had me at Hello?" Well, this book had be at that backcover blurb. It's like the shortest thing ever but I was hooked. (I first read that blurb on Bam's site, so swing over that way for a great, comprehensive review). For my part, the backcover blurb effect held true - I loved, loved, loved this book!

The story focuses around Bella and Edward (the vampire). They're teenagers (well, at least on the surface) so this is nominally a young adult book, but seriously people, ignore the YA tag. This is one of those books that transcends all sorts of genre boundaries - it is just a fantastic story.

Details: While Edward is mysterious and all-around fascinating, the heart of the book is Bella. She's a teenager with a teenager's hangups, but she's also oddly grown up in the way she handles the whole vampire issue and more. She makes up her mind and she sticks with it, which is one of the reasons I really loved her character. There's very little angsting with Bella.

And yeah, Edward is hot (hey, I get to say that - he's only pretending to be a teenager!). Overall, I fell for Stephenie Meyer's voice. It's very clear, very calm and absolutely riveting. Read this book! You won't be sorry. I'll definitely be picking up the sequel - New Moon.

12 comments :

Neyjour said...

We've been reading a lot of the same books lately! :D

I absolutely adored Twilight! Such a beautiful story! I can't wait to get my hands on the next one! Highly recommended if you like vampires, and don't let the fact that it's Young Adult book put you off. This is one that adults can definitely enjoy too. I LOVED it! :)

Lis said...

This one looks good, I'll have to check it out. Loving vamps lately

... said...

It's a great book (so is it's sequel, and book 3, Eclipse, has a cover!, though I don't think the release date is set in stone yet.).

Strangely, though, it's a story that I seem to have more problems with after reading it and the more I think about it -- not with the writing so much as the mythology and relationships. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that there are so many complications... It certainly keeps one wanting more. Even though Edward pretty much leaves me cold. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love Bams site :)
I was reading her review of Slave to sensation on there just this morning.

dancechica said...

I absolutely loved Twilight and am dying for Eclipse. This series is definitely one that adults can enjoy.

Dance, I didn't realize there was a cover up already. Thanks for the heads up! :-)

Shannon said...

New Moon is wonderful, too - but has a much different feel to it, much darker than Twilight. Thanks for the link to the cover of Eclipse, dance!

BTW, Nalini I started Vision of Heat tonight. I'm *supposed* to be going to bed in a couple of hours because I have an early morning tomorrow (even worse with daylight savings time starting). Umm. Yeah. I'll be really tired tomorrow because I'm not sure I'll be able to go to sleep until I finish this story! LOL Speaking of which, I need to get offline and get back to reading!

Barbarita V said...

I heard this book it's suppoused to be good.It has great reviews at amazon.com

Kris said...

I love this series, I got my 16 year old sis hooked on them too.

loonigrrl said...

I love love LOVE both Twilight and New Moon and I can hardly for Eclipse to be published. If you go to Stephanie Meyer's website, click "New Projects" and one of them is a chapter of the beginning part of the story in Twilight, but told from Edward's point of view. It's great.

Nalini Singh said...

Shannon - so did I keep ya up? *grin* Hope you enjoyed Visions!!

Shannon said...

I was up until 2 finishing Visions - and boy was I sleepy when my alarm went off at 5:30! LOL But it was worth it - I loved Visions. I think I'm going to do a reread to catch all the stuff I missed the first time.

Can't wait for the next one!

Anonymous said...

Wait until you read New Moon. Whatever writing god touched Stephenie Meyer--I sure as heck wished they'd touched me!

She's a rare talent...