Friday, December 29, 2006

Random Picture Day: Xian


This is a close-up picture of the terracotta soldiers and their horses in Xian, China. The pits where they were discovered are just huge - they were buried with an emperor, to help him in the afterlife.

Age has turned them all brown, but when made, they were beautifully colored. Apparently, the archaeologists may have found some that are sealed in a chamber and remain colored - but they can't open the chamber because as soon as they do, the color will dissipate.

Here's another shot that shows the size of these pits and the enclosure built to protect them. It's a truly awesome sight. The sense of age in the place is amazing.




6 comments :

not12complain said...

Did you bring me back one?? hehhe ;)

Nalini Singh said...

Alas it wouldn't fit in my handbag *g*

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos, Nalini. They all have different, individual features, too, don't they? Or am I getting my digs mixed up?

I have to thank you for recommending "Bride and Prejudice" on your blog a while back. I found a copy of the movie and watched it over the weekend -- and absolutely loved it. Now I have to watch "Monsoon Wedding" again.... :)

Nalini Singh said...

Lynn, I think you're right. They were very individualized - dif heights and everything.

Glad you enjoyed B & P! I love that song "No Wife, No Life". :)

Nalini Singh said...

Do it, Emma!! You won't regret it. Xian is very, very cool. Not just the terracotta soldiers but the mix of cultures inside the old city. And the markets - wow!!

Anonymous said...

Those are amazing. Sooooo cool!