Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day (and Happy Advanced Valentine's Day for those of you in another timezone!). I know I said the contest would end Valentine's Day but the whole timezone thing is messing things up, so I'll accept all entries that come in until the end of Wednesday, my time. :)

As a lot of you know, I currently live in Japan. What you might not know is that Valentine's Day here is a little different than in other parts of the world. On Valentine's Day in Japan, women give chocolates and/or presents to men but the men don't have to reciprocate.

That's saved for White Day, on March 14, when men are supposed to be the givers and women the receivers.
White Day was apparently created by confectionary manufacturers to give men the chance to discharge their sense of obligation over receiving all these gifts (and of course, for them to make more money!).

Also, giving gifts on Valentine's Day is not reserved for boyfriends or husbands (who get 'serious' chocolate), but girls also often give them to teachers and even co-workers (obligation chocolates)!


7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Nalini!

Nalini Singh said...

Happy Valentine's Day Kendra & Barbara :)

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Oh wow, Japan! We get lots and lots and lots of daily flights from there. :) Or so it seems anyway.

Happy Valentine's Day. :)

katie g. said...

eh, valentine's day is overrrated. see my blog for details. Hehee. All in good fun.

Nalini Singh said...

Lynn - where are you in the world?

Katie - don't tell me you're bah-humbugging Valentine's Day! I'm off to go check out your blog.

Nalini Singh said...

Okay, Lynn, you pic of a beach should've been an GIANT clue even before I clicked through to your profile. I have lots of friends from Hawaii in my region of Japan - can't wait to visit! :)

Lynn Raye Harris said...

LOL, Nalini. :) Let me know when you visit. I'll haul out the RWA Aloha Chapter to meet you. :) We're a fun and quirky group.