Monday, September 12, 2005

Comfort Zones

This weekend I was happily working away on a synopsis, congratulating myself on having it almost completed when it struck me that the story was majorly predictable ie. A + B = C. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the happy ever after ending, I'm talking about the journey to get there.

After a soundless scream that probably reverberated in the hemisphere, I ripped apart the guts of the story until I had something that was different, unique, interesting. I was lucky - the seeds of the difference were already there - I simply had to work to bring them further out, so all's well that ends well.

The point of this ramble (and yes, I do have a point), is that it got me thinking about how much 'difference' I like in the romances I read as opposed to write. A twist on a classic plot is always fine with me and if it involves a hunky alpha male, so much the better, but sometimes authors push it too far. I'm not ashamed to admit that I like my reading comfort zone. But, and this is a big but, it can't become too comfortable. I've stopped reading a much beloved author recently because all her books seemed the same to me. Much as I love that classic story, I also want something more.

At what point does a comfort zone turn into boredom? And at what point does a little something different become too much? Are you one of those readers who loves to try new 'edgy' authors, or do you love the classic stories? Why?

3 comments :

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Nalini, I like the classic stories told with a freshness or a unique twist or even simply with a fresh, different voice. Or characters who are really alive and rich and vibrant. I guess I like to play inside the sandbox as long as the toys and the company are good!

Anonymous said...

It's a good question. I agree with Bronwyn, if it's classic with an unusual twist, then it's fine. I'm sure your finished product will be wonderful!

Nalini Singh said...

Thanks, Kendra. And congrats on your new cover.

Bron, that's a really good point about voice - it can really make or break a story for me too.